Wednesday, May 20, 2009

911

I have been lax about paying attention to this blog lately, but I think it's about time I step it up. I spent most of yesterday running errands and talking to myself and it made me realize that maybe I need a little more expressive outlet than I'm giving myself. Today: a rant.

Man Calls 911 Over Son's Messy Room

This is just ridiculous. This has got to be the 5th or 6th unnecessary 911-call story that I have read in the last 3 or 4 months. And I'm sure those are just the ones that are so insane that they have got to be picked up by the media. In February or March there were a rash of 911 calls relating to unsatisfactory service at eating establishments. Seriously??

I feel like the punishments for frivolous 911 calls are nowhere near severe enough. If people knew that they could spend a week or two in jail and face significant monetary consequences, they would probably think twice about tying up the lines for a service that is meant to save lives. And I'm not talking about things like kids accidentally or intentionally (not knowing any better) dialing 911. These stories are about grown people, supposed adults, who don't seem to know the difference between right and wrong; their head or their asses.

If anything comes of these inflammatory news stories, I'm hope it's harsher penalties. People need to pay the price for wasting community resources and taking attention away from legitimate emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment