Thursday, March 12, 2009

T.O. to Buffalo

I understand why Buffalo picked up T.O. I do. They've struggled for a long time and they are reaching a point where their youngest fans (few though they may be) hardly remember the last time that the team made the playoffs. But in some of the pre-signing conjecture I heard, comments were made about Buffalo having "no receivers".

Lee Evans is a star-caliber receiver who is stuck in a small-market, underperforming team. Last year he signed a new contract, making him the 3rd highest paid receiver in the league (behind only Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald at the time - and I believe it the three still hold the top spots). He caught for over 1000 yards last year (and that's even with a drastic drop in productivity in the latter-half of the season, a fact I was painfully aware of with Evans as one of my top Fantasy receivers). Granted he only had 3 touchdowns, but there was a hell of a mess with the Buffalo QB situation last year and Lee can't be held accountable for that. A lot of the drop in his productivity was due to that, and I also think that opposing teams began to catch on and place primary importance on covering Evans - because they don't actually have anyone else substantial.

Based on T.O.'s first years with other teams (everyone and their brother has posted the stats, so I'm not going to bother), Buffalo probably made a good call. Though I kinda wish they hadn't picked him up so quickly. It would have been very interesting to see how long he would have stayed on the market otherwise, and how little he would have ended up working for.

1 comment:

  1. This is yet another reason why you are awesome. You actually know what you are talking about! Come next football season, I'll actually be informed, thanks to you!

    Hey internet, LB is a hot girl who knows her sports! And she's funny too! Give her a national column or a TV show or something!

    ReplyDelete